Tuesday, August 5, 2014

Body: Weight Loss & Maintenance

I'm often asked how I lost the weight? It's been a while since I started this journey but it's an ongoing road and I live a similar journey each and every day. Losing weight was ultimately an end-result of a lifestyle and perspective change.

In Oct 2008, I was diagnosed with a thyroid disease and provided medication to balance out the TSH hormone levels that could have been preventing me from weight loss (hence step 1). Once this issue was found and I was being medicated appropriately for it, I decided that there was no better time to try losing weight. I had a fairly sedentary/non-active life at the time -- probably the most exercise I would do is going for a walk here and there. I joined the YMCA, was motivated to go 12-times per month as I would get a discounted membership rate (with help from my health insurance), and started just going about 3 days per week for only about a half hour of low-impact cardio (elliptical). By Oct 2010, I LOVED fitness and healthy eating, had working out

STEP 1 - Rule Out Health Issues
Consult a medical doctor to rule out chemical imbalances that may be preventing you from losing weight. You may also want to determine the initial health status of your heart/blood pressure so you can take into consideration in your workouts.

STEP 2 - Energy In / Energy Out
Weight loss is a simple mathematical formula -- in order to lose weight, your energy in must be less than your energy out. There are a variety of applications (My Fitness Pal and Map My Run/Ride if you Walk, Run, or Cycle are recommended) that allow you to track your caloric/energy intake (food/drink) and also measure your caloric/energy output (exercise). I have never used a fitbit but I heard that is also a good way to measure energy out.

STEP 3 - Avoid Discouragement
By setting reasonable goals, one avoids discouraging oneself. Set very slight/attainable goals that you are sure to meet thereby increasing the joy and motivation when you surpass them. Listen to your body and accept it for what it is today. Energy levels ebb and flow and today's energy and ability may be different than a prior day -- embrace the reality.

STEP 4 - Seek Encouragement
Exercising with friends, blogging/logging via social media, tracking progress, guided meditations, and/or daily affirmations are all some of the ways one can seek encouragement along the way. Personal trainers also work well if you feel a personal connection with them also and feel like you'd be letting them down if  you didn't give it your all.

STEP 5 -  Meal Replacements
We all have typical meals that we eat frequently. After some time of caloric tracking, you may find that some meals consist of too much fat/sugar/calories/carbs etc. Try to replace fats/sugar/carbs with protein and fiber which are both high energy providers and very filling. Breakfast was the meal for me that I ended up realizing needed a regular replacement. I went from yogurt and granola in a large portion, to a packet of instant oatmeal everyday, and now that I'm gluten free, I am back to yogurt and chia mix or banana-nut muffins that are packed with protein.

STEP 6 - Portion Control
I also try to eat my dinners in a small bowl that holds about a cup worth of food -- about the size of a stomach. I generally find that as long as the meal has protein and fiber, a cup of food will fill me up but you have to have the discipline to stop after the cup and wait to see if you are full. Serving food into the small bowl and reminding myself that it's always plenty allows for better portion control.

STEP 7 - Varied Exercise
Change your workout routine, rigor, type etc. as frequently as possible and find joy in trying new ways to workout. High intensity for a shorter period of time worked well for my efficient lifestyle. I have tried a variety of workout methods including boot camps, circuit training, personal training, kettlebells, yoga, Les Mills Body Pump, Les Mills Body Flow, High Intensity Interval training...

STEP 8 - Build Muscle
Don't just choose cardio methods -- build up your muscles and allow yourself to gain weight while gaining muscle -- eventually that muscle will work in your favor and burn a ton more calories than you are currently able to burn without the increased muscle mass. You will eventually lose the weight you gain as you tone up.

To be continued as I think of more steps involved in both losing weight and maintaining.

No comments:

Post a Comment