Tuesday, April 5, 2011

Body: Mickey Motivates

Being relatively new to running, and having started with interval training and 5K training on a treadmill at first, I have been quite intimidated by the idea of running outside. At the same, as the snow started melting, the grass sprouting, the birds chirping, I was eager to begin running outside this spring. I embarked on the Spring running escapade on a pleasant evening in St Paul on April 4th 2011. Temperatures were in the 40s and a cooling wind chill in the 20s -- the sun was beginning to descend. With the most encouraging and supportive partner by my side, I took my first stride from Water St and Wabasha we were destined for Mickey's Diner. Mickey's was only .8miles away and that first leg was energizing, refreshing, and a little nerve racking -- am I really cut out for running outside. After galavanting through downtown St Paul, a few more round trips between the car and Mickey's Diner, a very fulfilling meal at Mickey's, and a total of 6 trips over the Wabasha Bridge, I'm ready for more! Bring on the spring running escapade!

Side note: for those respecting their bodies with healthy eating habits, I would not usually suggest Mickey's Diner -- however in this case the food piled with mountains of grease was the much needed motivation for my first outdoor run in 2011.

No comments:

Post a Comment