Tuesday, August 30, 2011

Mind: Key Contributors to True Happiness

I attended a seminar this past weekend by Dorothy Marcic -- she briefly covered topics addressed in her book, Love Lift Me Higher and outlined for us some key contributors/essentials to true happiness:

Service
Supportive Social Relationships
Sense of Purpose
Meaningful Work
Compassion
Forgiveness
Hope
Faith
Gratitude
Humility
Love
Trustworthiness

These are some of the highlights but the overall message was clear -- we have so much to be happy about and to bring us joy -- even in times of utmost challenge and what-seems-to-be despair. Much of true happiness lies in perspectives -- it is taking the "Must Dos" and "Should Dos" in life and altering one's perspective to turn these into "Like To Dos" and "Love To Dos."

Sing, Dance, Leap
Plant, Sow, Reap

A seed of joy planted and bred
In the heart of one man
Can be cultivated, and spread
In the hearts of many men

Ticket to the moon
Prayer at high noon

A prayer for strength and wellness
Sounds out from your bedroom wall
A prayer not at all of selfishness
Sounds out from your love for all

Rejuvenated and refreshed
Knowledge that one is blessed

An apparently long journey may be viewed from one's perspective
One of calamity, momentary sorrows, and much strife
An apparent fleeting moment may be viewed from the mind reflective
One of reality, today and tomorrow -- this is life!

5 comments:

  1. No one is in control of your happiness but you; therefore, you have the power to change anything about yourself or your life that you want to change.- Barbara de Angelis

    ReplyDelete
  2. I LOVE this! Also thanks for bringing my attention to the Writings about the soul, the mind and the body. I'm sure I'll have to read it over again, because it'll take me awhile to really understand, but I'm glad it's here on your blog. It's ironic, but the theme for my yoga class this week was "Balance". This must be what I need to focus on! -Cindy

    ReplyDelete
  3. It seems your blog is full of positive posts, poems, prayers. It also seems that you are almost perfect in every aspect of your life. I don't know about you but I think life is a balance. Good and bad. It would be nice to see some posts about life not being so "perfect". I like being real and I like to read real blog post. I don't know but some of your posts make you seem perfect and I have nothing in common with you. I believe in positive thinking but I also believe in being real.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I am so glad that the postivity is apparent and transparent. It is such a necessary perspective to attain wellness and balance. Although it may appear as aloof or idealistic to some, I strongly believe that it is simply a positive perspective on life -- looking at reality through hopeful lenses with faith providing clarity of the vision.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Sometimes just looking at the positive, you don't see the realness of the world. There is hurt, pain in this world. Without crisis, there is no change in this world.

    ReplyDelete